Louie

Louie
Blogmaster

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Yay! I'm cancer free!

One day this past winter, I woke up and didn't want to get out of bed. Humans have these kind of days too, I guess, but dogs usually don't. I didn't want to go for a walk, I didn't want to play, but what worried Mom the most was that I didn't eat. I didn't even go to the kitchen and bang my food bowl, which I like to do to remind Mom and Dad that I'm hungry, again. So Mom took me off to the vet, who said I had dental problems.

To make a long story short, when I was asleep at the vet's, she removed two growths, one of which turned out to maybe be a mast cell tumor. She also removed 8 teeth. After I got over the dental surgery, we visited the nice oncologist at SAGE and her pug, Ruby. We also saw another oncologist at AIMS and they agreed that I needed surgery to make sure I didn't have cancer. So the surgeon took out one tonsil and trimmed my soft palate so I can breathe better.

Mom and Dad are amazed at how much quieter I am now when I'm sleeping and by how much louder I can bark now.  She also found that I have  a collapsing larynx, but at least I'm cancer-free. Which is good, right?

The bad news is that I have had to go on a diet, for like forever, because the fat pads in my puggy throat can make it harder for me to breathe. The surgeon wants me to be as svelte as Ruby, who I personally think looks too skinny. So Mom had to cut my kibble rations in half and cut way back on treats.

My revenge is that I wake her up at first light so that she'll feed me. Mom is looking forward to winter and a few more minutes of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment